Thursday, December 21, 2006

I think she’s beginning to open up and trust

I think most people, outside adoption or maybe even just beginning, assume that when you adopt you fall in love with the baby and the baby falls in love with you immediately.  Not true.  It can happen different ways.  I've heard of some parents not attaching right away, some kids not attaching right away and some where both attach immediately. 

Chelsi did not attach right away.  Think about all these kids have been through.  The people they loved are not able to be with them any longer and they're no longer sure who they are to love or trust.  How scary.  Chelsi, let us hold her, but not much.  She'd rather have been on the floor playing.  Some would perceive that as a great baby who just likes to play and is independent.  I worried.  I knew that's not the way her big sister was.  Kaelin grieved right away and grieving for the family unit you lost is important.

We held her and cuddled as much as possible.  We left her on the bottle longer than any of the four older kids.  Bottle time was bonding time.  Everything we did with her was eye level.  She never necessarily "mommy shopped" like some kids do, but she wasn't trusting us totally.  Now I can see such a change coming about.  She goes to daycare and is okay being there.  Not overly happy like "mommy get", but happy to play and then come back home when the day's over.  We play every night together on the floor and she crawls up and lays her head on me and pats me while saying "ahhh mommy".  Melt your heart!

She's starting to laugh more and she's really quite the little clown.  I love her personality.  It's the sweetest.  I'm so glad she's allowing us in her life.  She's opened the door.  

I bonded and became attached to each of my kids immediately.  With the boys I was attached the first time I saw the pink lines.  With the girls as soon as we had a name at referral.  I didn't have to have a picture or know much about them, just that they were on this Earth and I knew.

I'm so thankful for the problems we experienced and the blessings God gave us for trusting Him.  We have four unbelievably, wonderful blessings in our lives that I couldn't imagine ever not knowing. 

Watching your children begin to trust you and the transition they go through after such a big trauma is nothing short of a miracle.  I'm so thankful that God helped them through it.

Hug your kids tonight.  They're a true miracle.


No comments: