Thursday, January 26, 2012

YAY! Progress!

I have to go to school for a meeting tomorrow.  They're setting up an IEP (individualized education plan) for Jaemin.  He qualified for speech!  While that's not going to take care of all of his issues, we've been chasing providers and trying to get help for over 1 1/2 years.  After a couple of evaluations, filling out questionnaires and having an outside entity evaluate the school's findings they determined my baby boy needs speech therapy.  I feel like maybe, there's a chance it will help him catch up in other ways.  His social/emotional development should be aided by this.  He's already improved, some, in this area, but I'm hoping this will help him further.   I don't yet know if he's qualifying for occupational therapy with the school.  As much as the therapist wanted to get him in, it's harder to qualify for.  When I talk to the head of special services tomorrow I should find out everything.  And if he doesn't qualify for OT now we can have him reevaluated later.  The great thing is he's only 3 1/2 and won't go to school for 2 1/2 years.  That means 2 1/2 years with the right services to help him catch up to his peers.

While I have my reservations and don't want to believe that all of his quirks will subside with this, it's better than nothing and it's still a chance at it for my Jaemin.  He'll love getting to go to school anyways.  He'll feel so big.

No comments: