Sunday, June 1, 2014

Moms of Special Needs Children


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-lin/special-needs-parenting_b_1314348.html

This is such a great article. I realize that a lot of my kids' needs (the ones that have them) are probably not to the degree of this mom, but I have so felt all the things she listed.....almost weekly at least. You do feel alone. You feel like most don't understand or wouldn't. You feel happy and sad all in the same day. You feel overwhelmed and content all at the same time. You can feel truly blessed and jealous within minutes of each other. It's really, really exhausting and really, really difficult.

Ultimately, I know I am so blessed by the things my kids have accomplished and though they're not the top at anything they are the top for themselves. A lot of special needs are invisible to others. You don't know why that kid can't play football because you can't see the scar under their shirt. You don't know why that 5 year old is small and doesn't talk like other 5 year olds.....you just think they're not bright. They are special!

This specifically really resonated with me as a mom to my kids. I love the things Jaemin does that are so typical for a 3 year old and he is almost 6. Because it's progress and it's great! I love watching Cole wrestle because we never thought he could....but he did. He's not the best, but as long as he tries and he's proving that kids with determination can do it.

"Raising a child with any disorder, condition or special need, is both a blessing and a challenge. A challenge for the obvious reasons, and a blessing because you don't know the depths of victory and joy until you see your child overcoming some of those challenges (sometimes while smiling like a goofy bear)."

No comments: