Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I guess this is it....a new President?

I guess, they've pretty much, officially, called it since McCain gave his concession speech.  I didn't expect it to be this early.  I expected an unexpected tight race.  Tighter than what they were thinking with the unofficial polls.  Judging by the people around us, I figured we'd be a minority voting the way we did, but that's okay.  I'm okay with my vote.  I read and educated myself.  I made the best decision I could and he is now our President-elect.  I know some family are probably not happy with me, but I am an adult and as long as I have tried to educate myself you can't fault someone for an opinion they've made based on their best educated judgement. 

I pray that those that did not vote for Senator Obama and were vehemently against him find their fears unfounded.  There is nothing wrong voting either way.  I never vote Republican OR Democrat.  But, now that we have a new President, he needs to be supported.   And I pray he truly earns that support as I hoped he would as I voted for him.  I pray that some barriers of racism fade some.  I pray my children do not have to deal with racism and that this important event in history changes that.  We're all scared of change, but sometimes that change can be some of the best unexpected things to occur  in our lives. 

I have to say that I'm happy to see our country slowly changing.  We are seeing interacial families, couples and now a biracial President.  I try my hardest to make sure my children never believe any person, trying to be a good person, is any less than anyone else.  They have too many times brought home questions about something said at school that I would have never anticipated coming.  You have to know some of these comments are not thought of by these children, but brought on by the people around them.  My children are not caucasian in the sense some people assume.  They are a great example of this country and the melting pot it was meant to be.  My children are Korean-American, and a mixture of German, Irish, Native-American, English and Spanish.  I love that about my children.  They are perfectly beautiful...all four.  And I would not have these perfectly beautiful children without this country being exactly as it is and going through the times it has encountered.  I love going somewhere and people are all so different.  I can't remember the teacher now, but when I was in elementary school, I remember a teacher telling us that it would be such a boring place if we all acted alike and looked alike.  And she was right.  You can see so many beautiful people walking down the street in just about any city in America.  They're not one race.  They're many.

I think a lot of great things can come out of this.  Either way that was possible.  I think people are very disenchanted with Washington as a whole and pray that the recent events and turns of the economy are enough for all in Washington to take the people supporting them serious and make things fair on all sides.  Make folks skirting the laws and policies (rich or poor) accountable for what they do.  And not reward people for bad decisions made without due diligence.  I pray God is watching out for our new President-elect and all of the folks in Washington.  I would have that prayer regardless of who got in.  Things need to change and I pray God guides them appropriately and they listen.

It's a new world now.  I hope it's a great one!


No comments: