Saturday, November 5, 2011

Call me crazy

But, I'm behind Cole 100% on wrestling.  I did not go into this earlier.  I guess I was partially wanting to say if Cole stuck with it and partially because I wasn't sure what the docs would say.   Cole told us about a month ago he wanted to participate in wrestling.  I told him I didn't know if his PC (pediatric cardiologist) would allow it, but he looked at me and said 'push'.  This was our code.  I had promised if there was something he felt strong about I would push.  I called our family doc and they called the PC for us.  The nurse called back and said the PC's nurse said no....it's a contact sport.  I got her number and called myself.  I asked her to please check, personally, with the PC because we've told Cole no to everything for 14 years.  I guess after watching him suffer through the loss of playing football, just after he got the okay and seeing him socially struggle just hurt me too much for him.  I told her I needed him to be able to live. No one knows how long they have and I just wanted him to enjoy his life, whatever it may be.  She called back and said he said okay with strict instructions on weight lifting and no weight loss efforts to make weight (i.e. losing weight by sweat and water loss which could kill him because of his heart function).  So with that understanding and a very careful and important talk with Cole it was a go.  We turned in the papers he wrote up to the coach and Cole's been running 2 miles at practice and lifting some weights.  He's so tired, but seems so much happier.  And now when his grades slip a little he's more receptive to our nagging to get them back up or else.  He knows what the or else is.  I bought his wrestling shoes Thursday after work, so he's really ready to go now.  What possessed him to do this?  I have no idea. He has no friends participating, but I'm so happy for him to find something that makes him feel like he belongs and he's happy....genuinely happy.  We even had the talk to remind him that he should enjoy every single second.  If he has to have his surgery it could be over.  Enjoy every second as it happens in case it ends.  And maybe he'll get all 4 years of it.  Who knows.  Only God knows. 


1 comment:

Jay, Jane and Jared said...

I think it's great -- wish you were closer so he could teach Jared some of the moves!!