Monday, October 14, 2013

Invaded

by Fleas!

Thankfully, I think the ones we've found inside have been carried in by all of us, but still....ick!  In all these years of outside animals, we've never been full of fleas, but the beagles came to us with fleas 2 years ago and I think it just keep growing from there.  We moved their kennel outside and found the ground covered with fleas.  You could hear them jumping.  Gross!  They're running loose right now while we try to kill the fleas in the yard.  I've tried borax, bleach, Hartz spray and some Hot Shot powder.  If we can kill the eggs, then maybe, but we have to do that first.  I'm hoping the spray today will do that.  If you step into that 10 x 10 area your feet will be covered.  I checked the kennel where it's been moved to and so far nothing.  Chase and Kaelin gave all 3 dogs a flea bath and sprayed the cat yesterday.  I ordered some more drops,  even though we've kept drops on them all summer, some pills and some garlic pills.  I sprayed the downstairs today since it's the only carpet in the house; just in case.  If we can get a handle on that spot outside, the dogs will keep stuff on year round.  In my research I found out fleas can kind of hibernate which means the winter really does nothing to them.  We just have to kill them.  I need to save to have a professional spray next summer than maybe we won't have spiders either.  The bad things about living this close to the woods is you're going to have bugs, mice, snakes and all kinds of vermen, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

No comments: