Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's been one year tonight

I got the call that Brian had fallen playing basketball...almost at this exact time.  I was told to come to the gym, but not to be too worried.  Luckily, Jay's pretty calming.  :)  So I drug four kids with me to the gym where Jay sat with them in the van while I went inside.  I remember so well our friend Kevin saying he thought it was just a stinger like in football and he'd start moving soon.  Then the paramedics arrived and within minutes said he had to be flown to the hospital.  That started the tears.  I was terrified.  Lifeflight is never good. 

We spent the rest of the night filling out paperwork and waiting for MRI's and xrays to come back.  I remember an orthopaed coming in and explaining a bit of what he thought, but I had to wait 'til the next day for the official word.  I distinctly remember my dad and Nancy taking me to his house at 11:00 pm after visiting hours were over and crying so hard when he pulled into his garage.  I had family with me and everyone was still in my life, but I'd never felt so alone that night.  I had no husband and no children.  I think in the first 3 months of his accident I'd never gone through such a vast range of emotions in my entire life.  That was harder on me than anything.  I don't think our bodies are really set up for that.

In a way, with it being the one year anniversary I feel this weight lifted.  Like our bad year is officially over because of that.  Sounds silly, I know, but after his accident everything seemed to keep happening and adding to the stress.  I'm glad we're one year post now.  He's doing great for a year post.  It could be so much worse and we're all here.

Just can't believe it's been a year.

Lisa


2 comments:

Margie said...

Hi, there. I haven't read back through all the posts to learn how everything is going for your family now, but I just wanted to say I hope that things are going well, and that 2009 brings you all the best.

lifeintheparentlane said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Margie. It just feels like it has to be better in 2009.

Lisa