Monday, January 12, 2009

UCK! More shots!

You'd think I'd be done.  You'd think I'd be cured.   Nope....apparently not.

Slowly, over time, my allergies have gotten to be too much for my body to handle.  I think it might actually be worse than what it was before.  I finally couldn't take having so much trouble breathing anymore, so I went to the ENT.  He gave me 3 weeks of Levaquin for the infection and asked that I get allergy tested again.  Almost 15 years ago he did my first sinus surgery and told me to get allergy tested to help with that.  I got tested with someone else since back then he didn't do that part.  I had shots for 8 years and they told me I was as good as it was going to get, so I was done.

The last couple of years or so I've been getting sinus infections that eventually turn into pneumonia or, if I'm lucky, bronchitis.  Just in the fall.  This Winter has been hard for me to breath, so I went to him because that's not normal for me.  This is usually my reprieve, mild Winter or not.  So today, they informed me I need MORE shots....every five days!  How in the heck do you make time for that.  Once I'm done with my build up, I can do them myself, but until then I have to go to his office for them.  The nurse was shocked they were so bad considering my previous shots...over 6 years ago.  But, she said it's done completely different now.  They're also running out of allergy meds that work for me.  Very few work anymore...except the expensive ones.  Go figure.  So, I guess, when they get my serum mixed I'll have to start.  I'm finally getting over my current infection, so they think it's best to go ahead and start.

My new routine will be steroid nose spray and Ocean spray daily.  Those are my usuals now.  Then, I'll also be taking this new stuff they want me to try for the allergies themselves.  She also said if this stuff doesn't work I can try Singulair AND Zyrtec or Allegra.  Either way, it's all expensive since Singular and the new stuff are in the highest copay brackets for me.  But, it's that or not breath well.  Maybe I won't need my inhaler as much then.  That would be great!  Even Brian said for me to do whatever will work.  I think he's realizing just how much trouble I have breathing sometimes.  It has to be better now.

On a good note, we are finally getting Chelsi's Korea records back from the doctor.  I naively gave her ped everything Korea gave us when she arrived.  I didn't know they would completely take ownership and never give them back, including her chest xray from Korea.  I've been working for almost a year just to get that stuff transferred to our new family doctor.  They were holding it for awhile and told me they couldn't release since it wasn't their records....are you kidding me?  They said I could come get them for $.42/page.  They finally sent everything to the new doctor after me pestering them week after week.  The new doctor released copies to me, no problem!   FINALLY!

Lisa


No comments: