Sunday, February 19, 2012

Precious Sleep

While I absolutely adore a snuggle with my little man, after just under 3 years I really need a night's sleep.  No interruptions.  Finally something seems to be clicking.  I've offered candy, etc. as bribes a million times and he politely lets me know that he'd rather sleep with me than have whatever he wants.  I am what he wants.  That feels good and all, but I really need sleep.  Last week I told him I was going to lock him out and he said okay when I was tucking him in his bed.  I locked him out and, of course, he tried to come in to snuggle and couldn't get in.  He went back to his room screaming for me.  I went in and sat on his bed and got him calmed.  I turned on his Korean children's songs (I finally got him to listen to music to help him sleep and that has helped) and sat back on his bed with him to snuggle for a minute.  I told him him to look at the window.  I told him that when it was dark it was time to sleep and that I would only be across the hall in my room and I will never leave him because I love him so much.  I then told him that when the sun comes up and there's light in the window it was time to come snuggle with mom or get up and play. 

Who would have known that I would get 4 nights of sleep after that.  It's been wonderful.  One night he actually stayed in his bed all night.  The other nights he came in and I would just tell him his window was still dark and he quietly went back to his bed for the night.  One night he must have planned to sleep on my floor as usual because when I got up the quilt from the living room (that I use as his pallet) was lying on the floor.  I asked him tonight, before putting him in bed, when he should get out of bed and he happily said "when sun comes up".

He's been in such a good mood getting a good sleep and I have too, it's been great.  It may not last forever, but for whatever reason, for now, it's working to just logically talk to him and reason with him. I know.  What 3 year old is reasonable.  Apparently mine.  He's such a sweetheart!!


No comments: