Monday, June 25, 2012

A first for me; I was not looked at as his mother

In 9 years of adoptive parenting, I've never had anyone just look past me like I wasn't the mom or couldn't possibly the mother.  Honestly, it didn't offend me, it just totally caught me off-guard.  Jaemin was REALLY tired tonight and swimming lessons just did him in.  After the girls finished their lesson it was time to leave and I was trying to get things together and he immediately threw a fit because I wasn't holding him yet.  Since he insisted on throwing a fit without asking nicely first I told him I wouldn't hold him until he calmed down.  He was too far in the throws of that tantrum to do that.  I just calmly kept telling Jaemin I was not going to hold him until he stopped screaming, etc.  I kept turning around a kept a couple of feet in front of him so he'd know we couldn't just stop everything; that to him would be the fit winning.  I stopped on the sidewalk to tell him, calmly, again and a lady and her two girls walked up to him and she bent down a bit and said 'oh you poor thing, are you alright?'.  I just kept talking to him and we'd keep on walking and every few feet he'd stop for his tantrum.  I think as I was talking to Chelsi she realized I WAS his mother.  Such a weird feeling.  I feel like his mom and for the first time someone else didn't think I fit.

No comments: