Sunday, January 13, 2013

5 years later

I went with Brian to an appointment Friday.  I finally talked him into at least seeing what they can do for him with an orthotic/prosthesis.  Tomorrow is 5 years since his accident.  It seems like yesterday until I realize that it really has been 5 whole years.  The lady at the DME (durable medical equipment) was really shocked at how well he was doing.  She was trying to help him put on the brace she wanted him to try and she said well you know how these work from therapy, right?  He then told her he was completely paralyzed at one time and by the time his legs worked his hands still did not.  The therapist always had to do everything for him.

So, he tried on the ground reaction brace, made with the same material prosthetic feet are made for runners who are amputees and it was shocking.  I actually started to cry, though I shut it off as quick as a could.  I knew it would embarrass him, but I really couldn't help it.  She asked me to watch Brian walk up and down the hall with it on and he almost had no gait difference.  I mean it was different, but his leg to leg gait wasn't so different anymore.  He wasn't swinging his leg out so far to keep his toes from dragging along.  It just looked more fluid.  She said this is why these braces are so helpful.  When your nerves that do work tell your brain it doesn't have to work so hard to pick everything up and swing your feet out, you can walk with more ease and not get so tired.  Amazing, a little piece of metal that goes just below your knee and down and around your foot. 

She sent us off saying they would contact my insurance and get everything squared away and let us know this week how much it will be since I'm in the high deductible plan.  Trust me, well worth it. 
I asked him if he saw himself wearing it and at first he said not in shorts, but then, he said maybe.  He, in his mind, still sees himself the way he walked for 33 years of his life.  He has no idea that it's not the brace that will draw attention or draw new attention anyways.  He starting to walk moreso with a limp that people do see.  And he won't have to be so tired trying so hard to cover it up by trying really hard to walk as normal as he can.  It's not admitting defeat, it's just moving on.

I can't wait 'til we get it.  A girl at work's son has it for CP and she says it's the least expensive of the braces since it doesn't have to be casted to your body, so I'm hoping around $300, but I may be really shocked.  Either way, if it makes things better, it's so worth it.  I just can't believe how much our lives have changed in the last 5 years.

No comments: