Monday, September 30, 2013

Some of my favorite days


Last night I was watching "Sleepless in Seattle".  There was very little on and I hadn't seen it in years (like a decade), so I sat there watching it in the living room.  Chase was sitting next to me playing on his iPod.  I was getting so tired, early, but I didn't want to leave.  Because every now and again, when they're sitting next to you, even when they don't seem to be paying attention to you, they say things here and there.  I love and live for those moments.  Especially, with the 2  teenagers; they're to that point conversation is at a minimum.  I waited until he went to bed before I finally went.

Today I found a breaking point in my work (more like a brick wall on a report) and really needed a haircut and she happened to have an afternoon opening.  My boss said I could go ahead and leave (I rarely take of for haircuts), so I took it.  I was thinking 'yay, no football practice tonight, just cut Chase's hair and easy night'.  Wasn't quite that easy, but pleasant enough.  We had decided last night to make egg rolls, so now I was going to be home in time to help.  The wrappers we bought were awful and kept breaking through, so supper wasn't a big hit.  While I was making supper I noticed Chase getting frustrated with everyone in the house while he was doing his Algebra homework.  After supper he said he got it all done and checked the one that were in the back of the book.  I asked him if he wanted me to check them and after I finally convinced him I'm actually pretty smart and could reteach myself Algebra enough to check it he let me.  Soon enough I was reteaching him.  Figured out that he understood algebra itself, but not the negatives and positives and groupings.  I went over different ways to explain how to do what for about an hour, then by his choice he redid his whole assignment and seemed much more confident.  I think he really was surprised I knew it.  He said his teacher just got up and did a problem real quick without really explaining what gets added, subtracted and when signs get changed.  It felt good that I was really useful to him; that I could help.  I hope he'll come to us more now, knowing it's something we can sit and discuss and make things a whole lot easier.  Then, I cut his hair and he had the rest of the night off; football free.  He seemed so relieved and I think he was struggling, but couldn't explain why until tonight.  His grades are great.  I think he was just afraid they could go down and he tries really hard to maintain straight As and it is harder to do that with Algebra 1 your 8th grade year in addition.  I'm very proud of him and his wanting to work hard.

Now if only Cole would try as hard and do as much as I'm positive he's capable of.  I see signs of it from time-to-time, but he doesn't believe in himself enough to put it all out there.  I hope one day he does.

No comments: