Tuesday, February 7, 2023

File taxes for FREE in Missouri

 If you’re on a budget or just money conscious you’re always looking for a coupon or deal, right?  Taxes are no different. 


I have used TaxAct for years, religiously.  I’ve even had my kids use it. Now, I generally have to pay a fee but they give out discounts every December via email and you just have to log in to get them and they will be effective at tax time.  If something goes wrong and it doesn’t get applied simply call them and they will refund you the difference.  The kids’ taxes have mostly been simple enough to qualify for the free versions.

But this year my 17 year old had to file since she made just enough earned income and unearned (from an old custodial account) combined that she was required to. Last year she didn’t pay any taxes and didn’t make enough at her job so we did not have her file. This year, we knew she wouldn’t owe and she only stood to get $4 back between state and federal but she was required to file and filing the forms required for a 1099B for her investments, though small, meant TaxAct would charge her about $70. Umm what?  No. 

I set out to either do her taxes manually or find somewhere to file for free. Low and behold when I looked for a way to file the state side for free Missouri had links. Please keep in mind if you don’t use these links you could be charged for the state filing even though they all do federal for free. 

I chose FreeTaxUSA and it took all of 15 minutes to fill out her employee info, 1099B gains and 1099INT info. It even allowed us to e-file for her for free. It literally didn’t cost a dime. And she paid the state what she owed electronically. 

Now, I think it would cost us because of HSA and other things but I’m going to seriously look into using them before I file. I mean if they’re less expensive than TaxAct and they have a fixed state return fee really could be worth it. 

On a side note:  Even if your child only has earned income of less than the requirement to file, if they paid taxes from their checks they will get it all back. HAVE THEM FILE 

👇🏼Here’s the link to those free tax filing web sites:

https://dor.mo.gov/taxation/individual/tax-types/income/vendors.html

No comments: