Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Adopt/Sponsor-What these words mean

This (November) is National Adoption Awareness Month. In addition to this, it's the season of good-will and giving of all types. Due to this month and this time of year you hear the words adopt and sponsor being used interchangably to describe very different things.

The verb "adopt" can have many meanings; "to take by choice as one's own child" or "to sponsor the care and maintenance" (from the Merriam-Webster's online dictionary.  Whereas the verb "sponsor" means "one who assumes responsibility of some other person or thing".  These two words ARE, indeed, very similar in meaning. 

I'm not usually one for being overly careful in being politically correct, but I guess the more I hear the term "adopt" used to define how one family helps another or takes care of a highway, it just makes me think that maybe we should use the term "sponsor" more often.  I think sponsoring the maintenance of a highway or sponsoring a needy family at Christmas is really more true than "adopting". To me, "adopt" is a term that defines forever. You may decide to quit taking care of that highway or only help out that family one or two Christmas'. But, when you decide to "adopt" as a way to grow your family, that's a forever commitment, not something you change your mind on whenever it becomes too difficult or your other obligations prohibit you from continuing. 

Like I said, I'm not politically correct in my speaking habits at all, but it's just something to think about and juggle around in your mind.


No comments: