Friday, November 20, 2009

Such a trivial Christmas purchase, really

but it felt so big.  Not large as in expensive, but large as in meaningful.

I had to stop at the craft store tonight because I wanted to make some new ornaments to include J.  I had made some for each child a few years ago and I want to paint new ones with their Korean names; to include Jaemin.  While I was there I realized he had no stocking for the fireplace.  So I studied each stocking and thought about whether he would still like it when he was a bit older.  You know you can't get a baby stocking for a boy who will, one day, be a big boy.  So I found this deep blue stocking with a white cuff that looked a lot like big brother Chase's red one.  I got new holders that matched....all 5.  It felt a little poignant for some reason.

I guess with all 4 of the older kids we'd known we were having each one of them the Christmas before they each joined our family.  I was always preparing so much for them; including buying their stocking for the next Christmas.  This is the first time I've done it backwards.  Now, I just need to get him a "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornament so he can have one like his big brothers do.

Wow, really....I shouldn't be shocked anymore.  6 months later I'm still shocked or shaken a little that we have this sweet little boy in our house.  It really seems so surreal when I actually have moments of time to think about it.

Love you J!

Mom


No comments: