Saturday, July 23, 2011

School Supply Time

Man these things get more expensive every year.  I decided, this year, to spread out the purchases.  I'm buying some on this month's credit card statement and some on next month's statement; since I pay it off every month.  I already went through my leftover stash from last year and the items the kids could reuse.  We've been reusing scissors since Cole was in kindergarten.  We finally got the lists this week and after we loaded their bags up with what we already had or could reuse we picked up a few of the smaller items at Walmart today.  It still totaled $37 without tax, without those zippered binders that are required at almost $15 each, without the $5 dry erase markers, baby wipes, chlorox wipes and oh yea.....none of that includes Cole's high school list because they haven't released it yet.  I'm betting what I have left is going to cost double what I've spent.

I like our school, but sometimes it just makes it too difficult for parents.  For instance, we have to have certain colored folders and notebooks.  I couldn't find some of them so we substituted red for orange and blue for purple.  You would have thought the primary colors would have made the most sense anyways.  Then they ask for things like 3 packages of "Crayola" washable markers at almost $3 each for a kindergartner.  Yeah, they're getting Rose Art for 1/2 that.  Or, and I love this, the $5/package pencils for a 3rd grader.  Sorry, this family cannot afford this with 4 kids in school this year.  So, while everything on the list will be purchased and supplied it will not necessarily be the brand specified by the school.

Oy!  Same frustration from me every year.  And just wait.  In 3 years I'll have all 5 in school!  Jaemin will start kindergarten when Cole is a senior.  Then college!!


No comments: