Saturday, July 6, 2013

Unplanned purchase

Totally planned to replace my van when Kaelin was driving so I could downgrade to a car for better MPG.  However, with the issues I've had with my van since it was brand new 3 1/2 years ago, we decided to go look around today.  We planned enough by at least checking numbers (invoice, MSRP, etc.) so we'd be educated, but didn't bring anything for our van, including the title.  We really just wanted to get an idea of if there was a deal out there, what kind of numbers they'd be.  We had plans to talk to the Toyota dealership Monday to see what kind of deals they had by comparing to what Honda would offer for my Toyota.  You see, for the 2nd day in a row (3rd time in less than a year) I got stuck in my car.  The panel on the driver's door keeps slipping and getting stuck so I can only open in about 1/4 of an inch and have to crawl out the sides or climb to the back to crawl out.  Either way, it's not a pretty sight especially on days I happened to wear skirts when it occurs.  And yes, I get laughed at at work crawling out the passenger side, but what am I to do until they come out to fix it.  Today made the 20th time it had been back to the dealership for about 4-5 different issues (none motor) in the past 3 1/2 years.  I only had 43,000 miles on it.  It had been not such a great morning anyways and you can imagine my feelings when I needed to get out of the house, so I pull into Walmart's parking lot to grocery shop and find I can't get out of my vehicle AGAIN.  I couldn't stop the tears.  I was crying and I was shaking and then I was sick to my stomach.  The service manager, who is wonderful, came out to look at it immediately and then he filled up my gas so I could get back to the dealership.  He literally had to screw the panel to the metal portion of the door so it wouldn't slip until he got a new panel in next week.  He had already installed new clips 2 other times and both times they failed.  He's hoping it's a defect with the panel, but no guarantees.  I just couldn't deal with that anymore.  It's not safe.  I end up having a mini panicky feeling each time on initial trying to get the door open.  Even Brian finally said it was enough this time.  We went to Honda to get numbers to compare.  They came back with a number that was pretty absurd.  Especially, since we were sort of trading down.  I didn't want the DVD this time, so we seemed to have lost that, roof racks and one 120V plug.  All not biggies especially when that DVD player tore the heck out of DVDs rendering most of them unplayable or skipping all the time.

I brought Jaemin with us especially so we'd have an excuse to leave.  Oh darn, the baby's upset, time to go.  But the manager asked me what I needed to get to.  I told him since it was a knock down of what I had (must have sunroof and leather), I wanted it for $5,000 less than he told me he could do.  I told him it wasn't a big deal though, he could think about it and we just really wanted to go.  He was really adamant he could call Honda and get closer.  Next thing I know he comes over and says if I do it for XXX you have to take the loan for .9, you can pay it off at first payment, but they'll lower the price if we did that.  I did NOT know what to say.  I thought what I gave him was a little absurd seeing as my van is 3 1/2 years old with 43,000 miles.  He said we had to pick a color in stock to do it.  I told him they had to have what I would want first, then I would agree.  That was hard.  Now I was under the gun to make a decision I hadn't planned to make. It was a really good deal, so it actually made more sense to replace it now rather than later because in a few more years the Sienna depreciates even harder.

In the end, I got the Odyssey for MSRP and traded mine for $1,000 less than what I paid for it 3 years ago....if you look at it the other way (because you can switch those numbers however you like to get to the difference), I paid invoice for the new van and traded mine for $3,000 loss of what I paid 3 1/2 years ago.  Really good deal in the world of vehicles.  Luckily, I had gotten a great deal on the Sienna in the first place, but after the trouble I had with all of the little things, so stressful.  We went for the 5 year warranty and we have no maintenance on it for 5 years either.  We did the loan because we had to, but we have the option to pay it off whenever we like.  Not sure if we will since we're not losing any money on it, but we always have the option if we get tired of our $150 payment.

Not quite in my budget plans (or was in the line for a few years from now), but you have to take the better deal even if timing is a little off.  Hopefully and I really, really hope this one has a better track record.  My old Honda was great, so I'm hoping this one's as good.  And it has an 8th see.  I'm liking that again.

No comments: