Saturday, February 15, 2014

Lots to think about

Funny how you think you have your mind all made up and then in one instance, one experience can change it just like that.

We thought we had it all planned out, or pretty much anyways, what we were going to do with the kids and how we were going to handle the week of Cole's surgery.  I wanted it in my head so when they tell us what's going on this week or next  I was somewhat prepared so I could better process.  Then, my uncle was killed this week.  He was cutting a tree down and it fell on him.  He's the youngest child of my grandma's and is barely older than myself.  His kids are my kids' ages, I was in his wedding and babysat his oldest.  Because of family issues, my mom didn't quite make it to the hospital before he passed away.  It just broke my heart for her.  She is the oldest, he is the baby of the family.  I know how much he meant to her.  She couldn't be there to say goodbye to her baby brother.

I know, I really do, that Cole's surgery is going to be fine.  I know that it must be done in order for him to live.  But, it's his heart and kind of an important organ to his survival.  I was so set thinking the kids could just stay home that day since it's so far away from home.  They could stay in their routine and their aunt could stay with them until Brian leaves me at the hospital.  But, after this week, I'm doubting our plan.  What if anything happened?  Maybe they really should be there, just for that day, just in case?  Will they really focus on school that day not knowing if everything's okay with their big brother anyways?  It will be much harder to have them with us, but at the same time is it  really right for us to deny them of being with their family.  Really, this IS a big deal.

Another plan changed and unsure.  We're going to have a lot of questions for the doctor so we can figure out what to do.  I've been trying to chat with others at the support group, but it's been half one way and half the other.  We may lean to our family's old standby.  We'll call a family meeting, present the facts and see what the kids think.  See how they feel.  Cole will be out that day, so he won't even remember them stopping in, but it may make them feel better if they can just see him before they go home and then we can Skype the rest of the week.  I know Cole really can't wait until it's all over with and I'm completely with him on that.  I'm getting nervous about everything.  And I just want it to be over with so I can stop.  Stop worrying about the 4 younger kids, stop worrying about how to work things out and stop worrying about Cole being so scared and being completely helpless in it.  It really SUCKS being so helpless watching your child go through this.  I can't imagine how a cancer mom feels.  Kids should NOT be born with diseases and that's that.

No comments: