Monday, January 25, 2010

How do they process trauma?

It's impossible to know how little kids process trauma.  We don't even understand how we, as adults, process trauma sometimes.  I mean we're all different.  I really never expected this to affect Chelsi so much, but now I know it did.

Chelsi was 2 1/2 when Brian had his accident.  That was the last time I cut her fingernails.  She has chewed them every since.  I thought that may that's what she did out of being nervous and she just couldn't stop and the accident really never bothered her anymore, but I think it does.  More than she can explain.  The other morning at grandma's she announced that "daddy broke his neck the last time he played basketball".  How do you take this?  Is she associating sport with accidents?  I don't think so.  I guess you really just never know.  I do know that we're all still really dealing with the repercussions.  Especially, the two of us.  There is very seldom a day that goes by that something doesn't remind you that it happened.

While we're happy Brian could walk again, it's very apparent to us how much our lives have forever changed.  He and we will never be the same.  Part of it is good and part of it is just okay.  Part of it we're still just adjusting to, even 2 years later.  Trauma is not something you just go on and say 'oh well'.  It's a process.  A process to get through, not over.

Lisa


No comments: