Saturday, January 23, 2010

Public Restrooms with Kids in Tow

I always just assumed it was bad manners to use a handicapped restroom stall, even when I had kids with me.  So, I always squeeze myself and them into the stall and try to help them out.  It's always very difficult.  Today, we made our 2nd trip back to Walmart.  Yes, second trip.  I needed to grocery shop and Brian's glasses were ready.  I had called yesterday to make sure there was no possibility of mine being ready this weekend and they assured me there wasn't.  So, Jaemin, Chelsi and I ventured to Walmart this morning.

This afternoon, I got a call that my glasses were ready.  Since I'm tired of struggling to read any small print or my computer screen I decided to go ahead and make a trip back in.  Brian and the other kids had to go to church and the littles and I have to go tomorrow for Sunday school, so I took Jaemin and Chelsi back in with me for my glasses.  Usually, if I have both of them I bring my Ergo carrier.  I can then get Chelsi in the cart and carry Jaemin with no problems shopping.  I wasn't going to do anything but grab my glasses and run, so I brought nothing.  We ran in through the pouring rain and right as we get to the Vision Center Chelsi finally tells me she needs to pee.  So we ran back to the restrooms and all I could think was how am I going to do this without putting Jaemin down.  I'm a germaphobe big time and it nasties me out to think he may fall on that floor and touch it.

We walked in and I saw the handicap stall door open.  Inside was this little seat attached to the wall with a harness for little ones to sit on.  No way!  So I strapped Jaemin on and helped Chelsi get the seat cover down and helped her on.  Then when we walked out there was a short little sink perfectly her height.  It made it SO much easier.  I now know it's okay to use this stall if you are in a similar situation and there are no handicapped people needing to use it.  There's no way we could have all fit in a regular one anyways.

Lisa


No comments: