Friday, May 7, 2010

Country living...no twang

I think most people think that if you don't have a southern twang you don't live in the country.  The twang just means you're, well, southern.  Although depending where in the United States I have traveled to, I have been told I have an accent...I don't, BTW.  The only thing I know I say and I cannot stop and my husband so makes fun of me for is I do say ya'll.  I cannot say you all, but it's not like in some areas where they youens.  :)

But, around here it is living in the country.  Of course, those of us that have been here forever are pretty much still the same way we've always been while the folks moving in from the bigger towns and cities are not quite the same as the original locals.  But, here your yard, for the most part, does not butt up against someone else's.  We have subdivisions, but they're not city, suburban subdivisions.  We back up to a farm with 2 acres of woods for the kids to explore.  A runoff creek where, somehow, year around the kids find crawdads.  They dig up toads there too...yes, they're in the ground.  You cannot send your kids out to play in their school clothes here.  There's too much to explore, so the jeans that finally got holes in them get cut off for summer and they wear them with holes in the winter.  Just love driving the kids to school and passing the local high schoolers driving to school on their tractors.  Yes, this is a spring regular.

I love living in the country...wish we could live further out, but being a working mom it would intrude on the time I can spend with mom by spending even more time commuting to work.  But, we kind of a get a mix of both worlds.  Sometimes there is cattle in the road....ahem...Jay!  There's always someone pulling a boat to go to a local spot to fish.  We can't wait to test ours out with the family.  Your dogs can still run loose, cats are kept to keep the snakes and mice to a minimum, we're a little rock and a little country, and we're still somewhat self sufficient, hunting and fishing for our food.  (okay, so I don't do the hunting, but I like to fish and when the kids are little older it will be fun to do more often again.)  We raise our kids to try to be responsible for their own actions, their money, their time and their treatment towards others. 

It's a place you can live where it's a little more modern without being complete podunk....yep, that's a word, at least it is around here.

No comments: