Monday, January 24, 2011

Finally getting back on a schedule

I've never been terribly scheduled with our time since going part time, but I do have somewhat of a routine.  It all got blown up when Jaemin and I were sick the first of the year and then with the older kids being home so much.  Now that I'm feeling quite a bit better and not going through a box of kleenex a day I feel more up to getting things done; besides what I absolutely have to.

Last week I made a alphabet and site word binder.  Sounds crazy for a 2 year old, but it never hurts and Chelsi learned at just under 3 by this repetition, so what the hey.  I printed them all off in big, bold print and put them in sheet protectors to go in the binder.  On the flip side of the letters are the words, including such important words for Jaemin such as; Cole, Chase, Kaelin, Chelsi, Jaemin, mom and dad.  :)

Over the weekend Chelsi and I went to Target after play rehearsal to raid their $1 bins.  I wanted some fun things for the trip in May and thought that would be a good place to start.  We got little journals for the girls to draw and write during the trip; pens with cords to carry them around their necks so they don't lose them, stickers for the journals, little stuffed animals and I'll try to find a couple more small items.  I got Jaemin a couple of Hot Wheels we'll give him as we go along on the drive and he gets Batman stickers too!

Anyways, while we were at Target they had flashcards in the bins.  Princess flashcards no less.  Chelsi said she wanted them and Kaelin's been struggling a bit in addition and subtraction as far as speed, so I got them.  So, today, after we went through the alphabet and sight words we went through flashcards for addition and I have begun to teach Chelsi how to add once you have a number to add to.  She's starting to get it and I have no doubt she'll have it down pat in no time. 

So between laundry/breakfast/kids drive to school and lunch we do school time.  They get to sit on a pillow on the floor while we go through our items and then Jaemin and I read a book.  Chelsi doesn't really enjoy the baby books anymore and can ready anything she wants anyways, so she just reads to herself when she chooses.  I do think Jaemin's as quick as Chelsi he's just not quite as interested as her.  Typical boy, in this house really.

No comments: