Saturday, January 15, 2011

Repurpose for my daughter

My oldest daughter's 1st Communion is coming this year.  Now, I'm not a preachy Catholic and don't go crazy over every little step, but do know it's an important acceptance and sacrifice.  She picked out her dress.  It was the one I thought she'd pick out.  Not overly done, but a little different.  It's very pretty and was very inexpensive...shipping and all at $50.  I asked her about her tights and shoes and she decided she wanted the lacy socks with buckle shoes.  I love it.  I love that she doesn't envision it as a way to look older than her age. 

Then, I got out my veil.  The only thing I had left from my wedding day.  I didn't see the purpose of keeping my dress on the 'chance' my possible children would even want any part of it.  I asked her if she wanted to wear the veil I made for my wedding and she didn't, which I expected.  So, I asked her if she wanted me to take it apart and make her own veil for her First Communion.  Kaelin wanted the veil, so we took a layer off, shorted it up for her size and took one of my hair combs and I sewed it on.  Then, we took my flower ring from my old veil and took pieces of it and glued them onto the new haircomb.  We finished it up tonight and mocked up her hair for the day and put the veil on.  She really liked it and it looked great.  Now, I just need to try to find a steamer to steam the wrinkles out. 

After that I asked her for the necklace her uncle B brought her from Italy a couple of years ago; on the intention of her wearing it on that day.  She had lost the ring to the link.  I found an old pendant and fixed it and it's ready for the day.  It's a cross made out of crystals.  I even took the old rosary I was given after my First Communion and tried to fix.  For almost 30 years I've drug the rosary I broke around with me every where.  Back then, I didn't understand enough to know you shouldn't play with it and I tried to wear it like a necklace and broke it.  I've been carrying around the pieces every since.  I think I was afraid of discarding them and the implications attached.   However, after putting it all back together we realized it only had 4 decades.  So did it always have 4 decades and is a Rosary for the Dead or did I love an entire decade?  I can't imagine losing the one since I had one bead all by itself and kept it this whole time.  I may never know, but I'll have to check with my mom where I got it from, because I don't really remember.

Lisa

No comments: