Thursday, August 26, 2010

Could have been worse

I was prepared for the worst.  They said don't let him eat from midnight until they took him about 11:00 today and I was WORRIED.  We brought the kids to school, got an estimate on my car, went and got moo cow to bring to the hospital and picked up grandma for mom's support.  We got there plenty early, but registration was slow because the line was long, so it turned out we walked in just on time.  They took us back there quick enough.  I repeated my concerns about his attachment and him going out after he's taken from me.  I have to say he cried and I almost cried, but they tried hard. 

The anesthesiologist took my concerns seriously and tried to get Jaemin to trust him.  He played with him and got close hoping it would help.  Jaemin got to the point he couldn't walk without looking drunk after he had his meds, but he still very well knew what was going on.  He was very upset when the nurse anesthetist took him.  She was so excited he was Korean.  She is from the Phillipines and was saying how cute he is.  Everybody stops to tell us how cute he is though.  The anesthesiologist asked about drinking after he woke up in recovery.  I told him that because he's allergic to apples he couldn't have any juice and I felt more comfortable just giving him water.  I asked him if he wanted the sippy cup to bring back there, but he said he was just going to have them get me to give him a drink. 

It was maybe an hour later and they called us back.  The doctor hadn't even come to talk to us yet, so I was a little confused.  They actually brought us back before he woke up.  He still had the cannula in his nose for O2.  The nurse lowered the rail so I could get in bed with him.  Then, they went to get the doctor to talk to us.  I was so happy that they made that exception for us.  The last time was so horrible when he woke up.  I wasn't there and it freaked him out.  He woke up so calmly this time.  I talked to him when he stirred and he was fine.  I drank his water and we got to go home.  Boy was he excited to eat some fries.  He wouldn't share with grandma.  He was not going to share with anyone.  He even ate some of my burger, drank my Sprite and then ate some of grandma's frosty.  He was a hungry little man. 

He's a tough guy.  I don't know how many times I told him how good of a boy he is.  He really is a great boy.  He hardly fussed considering how long he'd gone without food and drink.  As long as he had mom, paci and cow he was cool with it.  The doctor said there's no damage from the reflux.  He looked perfectly normal in both places and we even have the pictures from it all.  Now, we just wait for the biopsies to come back and see if he's having allergic reactions to something or if there's infection in the linings.  We don't know what's next at this point.  Especially, if nothing comes back.  Pulmonologist is where we're supposed to go after this is ruled out since the reflux is causing respiratory infections.  We'll just keep taking it day by day and get him figured out. 

So, there's the day.  I was pretty tired, but he did SO well and I love this little boy so much.  BTW, they had the cutest dinosaur wrap on his arm board.  I wish I would have taken my camera to show here.  I wish I could find some for him.  So cute on my sweet guy.

No comments: