Sunday, March 16, 2014

Daughter's of the American Revolution

Okay, I thought this would be interesting.  It's neat that a past can go so deep in your family.  I did my ancestry for a project for Chelsi and found that my dad's side goes back to Charlemagne and that I can get into DAR  if I chose to.  Chelsi's gifted teacher didn't think they would exclude her because of being an adoptee, so she said I should pursue so the kids would have the possibility of the scholarships, etc., that go with.  

I emailed our local chapter because they were having a how-to meeting soon.  I asked if there would be any issue with the adoptions and they said "I’m sorry adopted children would not be able to become DAR members through you, unless there is a direct blood relationship.  Thank you for your interest in the DAR"

How sad is that?!

I responded "There is no interest.  I am sad that in today's society any organization built on the ideals that the US is built on does not support adoption.  My children are mine.  I am a direct descendant and therefore, my daughters are just as much entitled as my biological sons.  This is THEIR history as much as mine and it is their children's history.  I would never want to be a part of something so stuck in history that they can't see a future."

I just can't get over how sad this is.  I posted to our adoption group and one momma had a great point.  What about all of the aunt/uncles, grandparents, etc. who raised children as their own.  They may have been blood, but could have been blood from another side, not truly making them allowable by DAR.  Or what about all of the secret adoptions where the child never even knew.  They weren't related by blood, but they raised them as blood.  They qualify for DAR, but my kids don't just because we're forthcoming and it states they were born in Korea on their birth certificates with our names as their parents.  

Guess what DAR.  You are a sad, sad organization, well behind the times and they are my kids, we are their parents and our pasts and ancestors are theirs too.  They don't have access to their blood ancestors and we have no problems sharing ours and our lives with our 5 kids!

No comments: