Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Why do people have to let you down?


We're supposed to trust the nurse coordinator at the hospital.  We're supposed to trust the social worker at the hospital.  They offered to pay for a night at a hotel so we could come to meet the surgeon the day before Cole's heart surgery and then be there by 6 am the next morning.  I asked if they could go ahead and get 3 nights and we'd just have to pay for them if we could so the kids could see him before Brian took them back home.  They say sure, it's all fine, we'll take care of things.  My punishment for trying, for once, to be patient and let other do ended up in a night of crying for me.

I decided, tonight, I would call the hotel she mentioned and see if the reservations were made.  They were.  For one night.  And the other 2 nights they were now solidly booked.  On top of that they hospital assured me they understood the size of our family and would get 2 rooms if they had to.  I asked the hotel what they booked as and it was for 2 adults and 2 kids and we were not going to be allowed to stay even the one night.  Well, don't you think that's something we would need to know before that night?  Don't you think it would have been a good idea to have some attention to detail and listen.  Don't you think it would have been a good idea to keep in touch with the family to have let us know what was going on.  Not this hospital.  Terrible.  I just burst into tears.  The stress is starting to set in and I'm starting to get nervous and this did NOT help anything.

I spent 2 hours trying to get things sorted out and find something.  I don't even know the city very well, but at this point, we were just trying to find SOMETHING we could afford that was reasonable and would actually allow our family size without paying $250/night.  Ummm...yeah, we wouldn't stay if that were the case.  I finally found a Hampton Inn that's a 20 minute drive, but that's better than 2+ hours and having to leave at 3:30 am with 5 kids.  They are allowing us to cram in one room and they gave us an $80/night rate.  It's doable.  It even had good reviews on Expedia.  At one point, I was struggling so hard to find anything, I thought I was calling the hotel's 800 number and it turned out it was Expedia.  They did try to help though.  As I was talking to her she said I sounded like I had been crying and that's all it took for me to burst out in tears again.

At least we finally have somewhere to stay.  I was wondering what we were going to do for a little while.  I called so many places and we either couldn't afford them or they said we were too big, even for just one night.  Now, if we can just find it.  I've Mapquested it out and I'm a little confused, so hopefully we do okay.  Once we find it, we'll be fine driving back and forth to the hospital, it's just the first time.  When the directions say U turn first thing, I get a little nervous.

I just hope they don't treat everyone like this and it won't be my choice the next time he needs another surgery, but I hope he won't choose the adult hospital affiliated with this Children's hospital after how we've been treated over the past 2 weeks.  They should be more organized for families than what they are.....BY FAR.

No comments: