Monday, March 15, 2010

We read and read and read

Chelsi LOVES to read.  She's been reading since she was about 3 or 3 1/2.  She caught on very quickly to sight words and I don't think any of us really taught her how to sound words out phonetically, but she probably overheard us working with Kaelin.  She reads very well at 4 1/2.  At her grandma's daycare there are 5 year olds getting ready for kindergarten, so she does generally go through sight words with all the kids...why not, right?

After they grasp her sight words she sends home these Dick and Jane type readers.  I decided last night that she could probably read more and since she loves reading so much, I didn't think it would hurt.  I asked Kaelin to go find one of her chapter books, so she brought back a Junie B Jones book.  Mind you these are 1st through 3rd grade readers.  The girls sat by me and they took turns reading a page.  They both stumbled on words, but different words.  Chelsi has more trouble with the larger words....the words I would expect her to at her age...even older.  Kaelin stumbles on small words because the rules don't make sense to her.  I can tell she can sound out anything that follows the English rules, but if it doesn't she's lost.  And Kaelin doesn't memorize.  Chelsi has an awesome memory, so once I tell her a word, she's got it.

Literally, Chelsi foddered over 4-6 words tops in 4 pages.  That is great for a 1st grader, let alone a child who doesn't go to school until mid 2011.  Kaelin got done reading her portion tonight and I had her log her reading for school.  Chelsi was not happy we were done.  She wanted to keep reading.

She actually cries and whines a lot begging for someone to listen to her read.  She loves to read and she knows she's good at it.  This is a good thing right?  I mean no one is pushing her.  She pushes herself.  She wants it.  She tells us that she wants to be smart and she knows reading will make her smart.

Brian's already worried about giftedness.  I'm not worrying about it until the day comes.

Lisa

No comments: